Monday Post ~ April 16, 2012
“Creativity belongs to the artist in each of us. To create means to relate. The root meaning of the word art is ‘to fit together’ and we all do this every day. Not all of us are painters but we are all artists. Each time we fit things together we are creating — whether it is to make a loaf of bread, a child, a day.” ~Corita Kent
This is the moment to deepen, or commit to, your regular creativity practice. Regularity — a daily practice, if at all possible — is key.
So what are your plans for creative practice this week? Given the specifics of your schedule, decide on a realistic intention, goal, or a milestone to reach for — and plan that time in your calendar. An intention as simple as “I will be creative for 10 minutes every day” or “I will gesso three canvases on Wednesday” is what it’s all about.
Share your intentions or goals as a comment to this post, and let us know how things went with your creative plans for last week, if you posted to last week’s Monday Post.
Thanks for offering this accountability, I’m glad to participate.
This week I plan to:
1) Photograph 2-3 pieces of artwork to upload
2) Play in my art room at least 10 minutes, 5 days this week
3) Exercise min of 5 times (really need this as my mood is not good)
4) Attend a Book Arts Guild group that I’ve been talking about since last spring (and haven’t made yet)
I hope to do more than this–maybe attend an open painting event for one hour or do more than the 10 minutes/5 day thing, but if I accomplish these four things I will be happy.
Looking forward to reading others goals for the week . . .
Wonderful to see you here, Joy! Beautiful intentions. I love your strategy of shoot for the minimum; be ready to take advantage of further opportunity when and if it strikes.
Where is your Book Arts Guild? I have a book artist friend who is always on the lookout…
Thank you, Miranda. Sorry to hear you’re having back pain and with sick kids to boot–grrrr, that’s not fun at all. Hang in there!
The Book Arts Guild meets in Burlington, VT. If she’s nearby I can share more details with you/her!
We’re going on week two with sick kids (fevers, congestion, pink eye) but it’s NOT the stomach virus. ‘Nuff said. I also put my back out for a few days, which is inevitably the universe’s way of saying SLOW THE EFF DOWN. So I did.
Last week’s creative/well-being intentions:
* Morning centering practice w/journaling [yes — solid]
* Finish reading peers’ work for nonfiction group [group rescheduled]
* Complete installment of nonfiction project for “5PM Friday” accountability group [no]
* One blog post [yes]
* Yoga/run x3 [x2]
This week’s creative/well-being intentions:
* Morning centering practice w/journaling [daily]
* Complete installment of nonfiction project for “5PM Friday” accountability group [Th/F]
* One blog post [T/W]
* Journaling [daily]
* Yoga/run x3 [T, W, Fri]
whenever my back is on the fritz, my hot water bottle is my best friend. wishing you rapid healing!
sorry it took a whammy to slow you down, but i’m glad to hear you have. i am having trouble with that lately, too.
I am creating tax deductions.
If you need someone to walk on your back, let me know. I’m surprisingly light on my feet.
‘llI hope to start laying out my novel, this week. If so, I start writing (and bugging you), too. So, there’s something you can add to your creativity plan: creatively ducking me (that’s what I would do if I were you).
This is such a great idea!
To keep it simple:
1. Exercise 4x’s
2. Journal 1x
3. Finish family portrait editing by Friday and have them printed out by Sunday.
Thanks for the inspiration!
How’s it going, Melissa? 😀
– Yoga – 3X – YES
– Run – 3X – YES
– Get good sleep – YES, & what a difference an earlier bedtime makes! I know, duh.
– Plant seedlings in greenhouses – YES
– Make pajama pants for my mom that are over a year late – NO
– 3 blog posts – YES
This week – kids are home from school and we’re going on our first backpacking trip with them, so I won’t get to run and yoga as much. It’s a fair trade, though!
– Yoga – 1X
– Run – 2X
– Get good sleep
– Plant seedlings in other greenhouse
– Start more seeds
– Make pajama pants for my mom that still aren’t making themselves
– 2 blog posts
– Brainstorm ideas for Taproot magazine submission
a lot on my plate lately, haven’t even written the thank yous for toots’ bday on the 1st!
creativity this week and last in a nutshell: i have been taking pictures, have read through about 1/2 of my manuscript for some more edits, gardening, singing in my choir, and blogged for the first in a while but it’s about a great talk i took my aspie son to, by john elder robison. and so forth. working too much.
here’s the kicker, after years of neglect for my bad back, and a car accident a few weeks ago, i FINALLY saw a friend who is a fabulous massage therapist yesterday. 2 hours of bliss!!! mommy happy.
yes, i realize it’s thurs, that kind of week. and i need to put my eldest on a plane headed for disney world where he is going to sing with his jazz choir at an ungodly hour tomorrow morning…he’s not packed yet and i am working today and have rehearsal for my choruus tonight.