Monday Post ~ February 13, 2012
“Whether it’s a painter finding his way each morning to the easel, or a medical researcher returning daily to the laboratory, the routine is as much a part of the creative process as the lightning bolt of inspiration, maybe more.”
This is the moment to deepen, or commit to, your regular creativity practice. Regularity — a daily practice, if at all possible — is key.
So what are your plans for creative practice this week? Given the specifics of your schedule, decide on a realistic intention, goal, or a milestone to reach for — and plan that time in your calendar. An intention as simple as “I will be creative for 10 minutes every day” or “I will gesso three canvases on Wednesday” is what it’s all about.
Share your goal(s) as a comment to this post, and let us know how things went with your creative plans for last week, if you posted to last week’s Monday Post.
i missed a week because of a show and feeling all relieved to have gotten it all done and there …. picked up the remaining pieces yesterday and found out i had sold sixteen canvases in a variety of sizes … thrilled! yay!
so this week …
-i shall spend an hour cleaning the studio … twice
-i shall paint … twice
-i shall exercise five out of seven days
-i shall bake four different treats for my four best valentine’s
-i shall rehang my remaining pieces on my art wall
This week I am focusing on my morning practice and Thursday writing time. Have the usual task mountain on deck — which isn’t included here — but I’ve actually scheduled nearly everything into my calendar, so that it will actually get done. Not yet sure what my work plan looks like for next week when the kids are on vacation. Just one more reason to stay in uber-productive mode this week.
Last week’s intentions:
* Open Studio work [Tues, Wed, Thurs]
* Spend 2 hours on nonfiction essay (no]
* Complete module for Wishstudio e-camp [yes]
* Incorporate committee edits to press release for GD Arts foundation (volunteer gig) [yes]
* One blog post [no]
* Start making valentines with kids [yes]
* Journaling [yes]
* Yoga/run x4 [x3]
This week’s intentions:
* Morning centering practice [daily]
* Spend 2 hours on nonfiction project (Thurs 10:00 to noon]
* One blog post [Tues, Wed]
* Journaling [daily]
* Yoga/run x4 [T, W, Th, Fri]
ugh, call me when it’s over: sick dog needs surgery, sick kids, can;t get an appt until tomorrow, killing writing group session, grinding my gears, spinning out, and getting nowhere.
maybe if the two who are home sick now, get better and get back to school, I’ll be able to planned a once a week session for my final pages of edits. right now, not feeling too able to put my creativity into the ramped routine of my overschedule.
It’s hard to be productive, let alone creative when kidlets are sick. Hope everyone gets better & your dog comes through surgery well!
thanks for the supportive thoughts, karen, very helpful to ease my mind.
After a few rounds of colds running through the house and losing focus, I’m jumping back in.
This week I will:
– Return to CED (Creative EveryDay)
– Transfer my fiction writing into new software
– Try one new slow cooker recipe (to allow more time for the rest of the week’s goals)
– Two (more) blog posts
– Complete next layer on painting
– Long overdue coffee date with great creative friend
Oh! And help kidlets with their Valentines…today! :>
How’d it go, Karen?? xo
– Yoga [3X] [YES]
– Journaling [NO]
– Finish husband’s yoga shirt [NO]
– Calculate cost of herbal immunity kits [NO]
– Continue design for portable 4-season hoop tunnel greenhouse [YES]
– Ruminate on 6 daily habits idea [NO]
– Wednesday Open Studio [NO]
Wow, I barely did a thing last week! It’s not what I remember from the week, but there it is. Shows you the value of keeping track, eh?
– Yoga [3X]
– Finish husband’s yoga shirt (he’s threatening to buy one if I don’t)
– Calculate cost of herbal immunity kits
– Procure building materials for portable 4-season hoop tunnel greenhouse
– Start seed order
Happy Valentines Day!