Monday Post ~ May 2, 2011
“The good mother is a great artist, ever creating beauty out of chaos.” ~ Alice Randall
What are your plans for creative practice this week? Given the specifics of your schedule, decide on a realistic goal or a milestone to reach for. A goal as simple as “I will be creative for 10 minutes every day” is what it’s all about. Share your goal(s) as a comment to this post, and let us know how things went with your creative plans for last week, if you posted to last week’s Monday Post.
Suggestion: When you’re deciding on your creative intentions, it’s a good idea to think about WHEN you’re going to write those 2,000 words or paint that canvas. Try to schedule the time slots in your calendar (if you keep one), understanding that flexibility may be required. If things don’t happen when you wanted them to, that’s OK. Give yourself a gentle push with one hand, but pat yourself kindly on the shoulder with the other if you don’t reach your goal for a given week. Sometimes it’s easier, sometimes it’s harder. Ride whatever you’ve got.
It’s also useful to have a sense of your minimum requirements (come hell or high water I’m going to write 100 words) while keeping a lookout for sudden opportunities to do more. You know, the day that the baby takes a monster nap or your partner takes the kids out to run errands and you find yourself with an unexpected “extra” half hour. Grab that time for yourself. You can catch up on the dishes and the laundry later. If you keep something creative in the back of your mind for those sudden opportunities, you’ll be more likely to use them to your advantage — rather than squandering your precious bonus moments on Facebook or vacuuming out the sofa cushions.
Last week’s goals:
* Practice for Sunday’s reading in CT — YES — WENT WELL!
* Prepare for podcast interview next week NO
* CCA homework and coaching (two classes) YES
* Project Life update NO
* Finish three more Life Assessment responses NO
* Do the next exercise in Right Brain Business Plan NO
* Read at least 30 pages in current book YES
* Journaling YES
This week’s goals a near repeat of last week, although I have a bunch of client work to take care of and another birthday at our house, plus my mother-in-law coming for a visit, so not sure how much of this I will get to beyond the first two items:
* Prepare for podcast interview Thurs
* CCA homework and coaching (two classes)
* Project Life update
* Finish three more Life Assessment responses
* Do the next exercise in Right Brain Business Plan
* Read at least 30 pages in current book
This weeks goals:
1) make 2-3 cards (Tues & Thurs)
2) listen to 1-2 videos for my on-line class (Wednesday evening)
3) work one night on my jewelry project (Friday evening)
4) Do something completely new!! (Sunday)
Good to see you, Millie!
Miranda, A little bird who saw your reading in CT told me it was very good. Congrats! I’d love to read it.